Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 2 ½ Cups Plain Flour
- 1 ½ Cups Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 ½ Cups Vegetable Oil
- 1 Cup Buttermilk (at room temp)
- 2 Large Eggs (at room temp)
- 2 Tablespoons Red Food Colouring
- 1 Teaspoon Raspberry Flavouring
- 1 Teaspoon White Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Line two (12 cup) cupcake pans with cupcake papers.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl gently beat together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food colouring, raspberry
- flavour, vinegar, and vanilla with a handheld electric mixer
- Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake papers, about 2/3 filled.
- Bake in oven for 20 - 22 minutes, turning the pans once, half way through.
- Test the cupcakes with a toothpick for doneness (insert a toothpick - if it comes out clean the cakes are done). Remove from oven and cool completely before icing.